Saturday, December 16, 2006

Disappointment

Today was commencement at that other university in the state in which I finished my MA in. I wasn't really planning on going, but I had a fellow teacher who was in my cohort whose husband passed away a couple of months ago and it was important for him that she finish and walk so I went as moral support because I knew it would be an emotional time for her. It wasn't too much different from any other graduation. They still have Graduate and Undergraduate ceremonies at the same time and there were about 3,000 grads total. To speed things up, they had two readers. Although I understand the need to get things going (it was a 2 1/2 hour ceremony), the readers were terrible. They would run over each other and call names at the same time (probably happend about 50 or 6o times. Additionally, I don't think they had language experts reading the names. When my name was read, it was mispronounced, badly. I have heard my name misprounounced because admittedly it isn't an easy name to say. However, the mispronunciation was not one that is common. As I crossed the stage, I just shook my head in disgust and think I even muttered, "that's fucking bullshit," to myself. I wonder if the lipreaders were able to see that on the jumbotron that they were televising the ceremony on. I think if I were a parent who jsut shelled out tens of thousands of dollars to see my kid better him/herself, I would be a little pissed off. The amount of diversity at unlv is pretty large, so I can't even imagine how many foreign and ethnic names got butchered today. Oh well. The important thing is that the university that I care about got it right. This proves once again where the academic superiority is within the state of Nevada. Plus, I didn't pay for any of the "degree" so I guess I can't complain too much. At least my diploma was spelled correctly.

No comments: