Sunday, December 10, 2006

Walk of Shame

Well, tommorrow should be an interesting day at work after Nevada's disappointing loss to unlv. I can only imagine that my inbox will be flooded with comments. Unfortunately, they will be deservedly so. I watched the game on television and I was disappointed by the team as a whole. It looked fairly obvious that Faz is still hurt. It was the first time I had an opportunity to see McGee and I was impressed with what little time he was on the court. Poor ball handling. Poor shooting. Poor effort in the first half. Needless to say, despite the fact that we are still a better team, unlv deserved to win that game. Kruger had his troops prepared and Fox didn't. He marched them into what could have been an (even more) embarrassing bloodbath had the team continued their poor play into the second half.
Despite that, it may not be the worst thing for the team in the long run. We needed to lose eventually. Yes, I would rather it be against anyone besides unlv, but it still needed to happen. If the kids on the team truly understand the importance of the Nevada/unlv rivalry, then this will make them a better team. This minor setback could be what propels us up to the next level. Even though we have been playing good ball, it hasn't been dominating. We play well enough to win, but realistically we haven't been sending any messages that we are a legitmate contender. We need to regroup, refocus, and retalliate with a beating of St. Mary's. Reading the RGJ, you would think that the world has come to an end and we are near total collapse. Embarrassing, yes. Time to panic, no. Everyone needs to keep their heads and chins up. My chin will be up Monday as it prepares to take all of the shots that will be coming my way. As a proud Pack member, I will take it like a man and stand by my team.

On a side note, I will be going to the Rose Bowl. I will be having a very long day at work on January 2nd (still not as long as tomorrow), but I will experience one of the greatest traditions in college sports.

2 comments:

Ryan Jerz said...

Nice to hear you're headed to Pasadena. On the basketball game, no worries. I think the Pack just didn't take them seriously. Nobody on this team, including coaches, cared about the rivalry because the Pack has been superior since they got here. I know Fox was here last time they lost, but it's different when your players are better athletes and you've beaten them up fr three years and Chris Ault isn't your coach. The loss only makes the rivalry a rivalry again.

el video said...

My reply to the comments was simple and shut most of them up by calling them out. I simply stated: "I'm glad to see the weather is fair enough to jump back on the bandwagon" There were a few people who deserved to talk smack because they have been consistant about the rivalry. The only other thing that I am getting tired of is the people caught in the past. I really don't care if you won (bought) a national championship in 1990.